Saturday, April 15, 2017

Essay: The Evolution of the 3D Collect-athon (and Where it Stands Today)


I've written my first major essay on game design, looking at the evolution of a genre that I've held very dear since my childhood in anticipation of Yooka-Laylee's release.  This is my first time writing something of this length on the subject, so feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated.

Below is an excerpt from the introductory paragraphs:

"Many reviews have praised the game as a proper "return to form", being a true spiritual-successor to Banjo-Kazooie.  Others have found the game to be far too dated, stating that the game carried issues back from the N64 era.  I have often considered Banjo-Kazooie to be one of my favorite games of all time; it is the game that got me into games in the first place.  So I had to ask myself: Is there really any room for the original 3D Platformer/Collect-athon style in this day and age?  Could a game like Yooka-Laylee offer more than just a nostalgia trip?"

2 comments:

  1. Can't read the essay because the link doesn't work anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that! It's been fixed.

      Delete