Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Grind

Well, as of 168 hours ago, the Fall semester at New Mexico State University is underway.

As of now,  I have a weekly schedule that consists of ~20 hours spent at work cleaning storage units, ~19 hours spent on campus, and ~7 legitimate hours of free time.  As you can probably see, these projects are going to slow to a crawl.

On a more positive note, I'll review a few awesome things that have happened with the development of "Depth".  My wife, Rebekah, has officially hopped on the development team and is heading up the art direction of the game.  She's having a blast shooting back ideas back and forth across the living room, and I'm really glad she can share in the joy of this creative process.

I've also ironed out quite a few major bugs.  Now, if the player would "focus" while in the middle of an out of focus block, they will simply drop below it.


It's a small change, but the aim was to force the player to do their best to land on top of the block.  Plus, I'm also very proud because it's the first instance of GML code I tested that worked on the first pass.  Awesome.

As I did mention in the past as well, I wanted to start toying with level design.  And I have been.  I've been keeping all sorts of sketches for creative ways to apply this whole "focus" concept into level design. Although, as much as I like how they are turning out, I do feel like a lot will involve pure in-engine experimentation to see what really works.

So that's about it.  There isn't much to this post, it's just an update and a little reminder to myself to keep going.  I need to remember to make time for this stuff, and not just sink into my couch at the end of the day.

Hopefully I'll get to share some of the creative process in the future, like my level sketches or my wife's pixel art.  We'll see where we go.

Here's to a good Fall season.
-JWest

No comments:

Post a Comment