Friday, May 6, 2016

It's been a year...

Hello,

I opened up my blog for the first time in God knows how long, and finally mustered up the courage to look at the date of my last post.  It's been a little more than a year - April 4th, 2015.

I think about games nearly all the time.  Video games are still a big part of my life, and they have been since I was a child.  However, making games has been a slightly different story.  The last couple of weeks I've been kicking around the idea of letting my wife pursue her career and act as the stay at home dad int the future.  Not only would it allow me to dedicate the majority of the day to our kids, but being at home without work or school to stress over would also allow me to actually build.  But these are thoughts for the future, not necessarily something to act upon quite yet.

Something else I've been reflecting on is a feeling I've been fighting with for the last few years is just the motivation to do something of my own volition.  At the end of each day, I just want to sit at my chair and play video games.  So this summer, I'm starting again.  I'm not jumping into game design, like I originally aimed.  Well, not directly, anyway.

This time I'm looking at NES development.  This will just be the study of how games were made back when the cartridge was required, and games were coded purely in (by my understanding) assembly.  Not only will this tie closely to what I've studied the last 3 years, this will also be something exciting, something that I might actually desire to sit and work on.  Now that I have my old computer set-up running again, I can keep a blog about my findings and developments a little more easily as well.

I'll be studying the tutorials found here, and I'll share any relevant information I come across with every blog post I right.  The next post will be observing the NES architecture, but I am just about to finish the semester, so it may not be written for a few days.

Here's to hoping I keep my word this time.

Cheers,
-JWest

No comments:

Post a Comment